This my irregular diary of the goings-on in my life. Right now, my family and I are in the process of re-locating back to the UK. And that's about it really.

05 February 2010

Went back down to Nantes to the 'mall' to get some more stuff for the gites as we couldn't fit it all on the car last time we were there. We were without children as they were at school, so I was expecting an easier day, certainly an easier journey; I think I forgot to mention that the last trip didn't get off to a good start. Had set up the dvd players for the girls before we set off, but I refuse to play them until we are on the other side of town and on the main road. Unfortunately, because of this, it wasn't until we were on the other side of town that I realised that we had no dvd's in the car, so we had to go back home, all in all, adding another half hour to the journey (normally about an hour an a quarter). Lately, the heating on the car has been getting worse and where it once used to be putting out a bit of heat by the time we were approaching school, now it doesn't even start heating up until I am almost home again. Well, today we had dropped the girls off and were way beyond our house and on the road into town when I was complaining to Adrian that still there was no heat coming into the car. Seconds later he is swerving off the road and we come to a fairly swift halt. Seems my complaint prompted him to check the temp guage and it was definately in the high fever range. Fortunately had a bottle of water in the boot so Adrian poured what was left of it into the car (well, that bit in the engine where it's supposed to go) and eventually drove to supermarket to stock up on more water, anti-freeze and other multi-coloured liquids that are apparently good for the car, before we could at last set off again for Nantes, again a half hour delay to the journey and several euros down before we've even got anywhere. (I must mention at this point that there is a leak in the engine, it's not a total lack of competence on our (well, Adrian's) part for not having checked water level for ages and ages).

Anyway, did get one bargain at the mall - Claire's accessories still had their sale on, so I bought ten things for €10,00, as I had done last time we were there. A couple of things I gave to the girls, but the rest I've kept for birthday presents for friends (not my friends, the girls friends) and relies. Worked out the total original value of what I bought - approx €90,00! So twenty things for €20,00, worth €90,00! I am made up! (Downside is that if Isabella gives these things to her friends, their parents might think that I've spent loads of money and that we're wealthy!) Other bargain of the week - four summer tops for the girls for €20,00 total, (buy one, get three free) original prices - €75,00 total!

Also, decided to spend some of my supermarket points at last. I thought I'd like a bread machine, Adrian wanted a coffee machine, (one of those fancy ones that takes coffee teabag type things, fortunately the supermarket does their own almost reasonably priced version). Ended up with a rice cooker. Well, I checked out the catalogue, no coffee machine and the bread machine was too many points and I then I saw the rice cooker and thought 'what a good idea', I can put the rice on and bung something to go with it in the oven before I go on the school run at lunch time (it even steams veggies on top), and hey presto, dinner will be ready for when we get back! (Yes, of course I'll make sure hubby is in the house and not leave unattended food cooking, but no, I don't expect him to actually cook it these days; although he is still not quite fully converse in the french language, he has embraced the french male cultural ideal that the kitchen/general domestic duties are the domain of the wife and he wouldn't want to get in the way. I wonder if the table will be set though....) Unfortunately, there are three booklets with the machine and not one of them has proper instructions. One is a safety manual, one is publicity and the other is a recipe booklet (for fancy stuff, not plain old rice). What I can't figure out is after I've measured the rice in the measuring cup provided, do I put it in the cooker and then top up the water to the required level, or do I put the water in first to the required level and then put the rice in. Answers on a postcard please.

No comments: