This my irregular diary of the goings-on in my life. Right now, my family and I are in the process of re-locating back to the UK. And that's about it really.

16 February 2010

Am mightily pissed off at the moment. Loads of crappy stuff to sort out, mostly in french and it's getting me down a bit to say the least. To the point where yesterday I said to Adrian, if it wasn't for the girls, I think I'm at the point where I just want to give it all up and go back to the UK. I don't really - when I stop and think about having to commute, finding childcare, decent schools (ha), working for arseholes, having a tiny house and a tiny garden again (because that would be all we could afford) and so on, I really don't want all that, but even so, these french folk do challenge me from time to time. In a nutshell:


Our car, which only just had an MOT in December is rapidly going downhill and we are having to replace it now (we were hoping to keep it going for another two years until the next MOT is due and then change it). We could go the the uk on the ferry, with our current car, pay for two weeks accomodation, spend loads of money on lovely stuff we can't get over here, buy a new car and bring two cars back on the ferry, all for less than the price of an equivalent car over here. However, it would be right hand drive and we would have the hassle of importing it (more french paperwork), and Isabella's passport has run out (yet another thing to sort out and pay for) and we can only go in the school hols and in the end we've bought a car over here.


Due to go back and pick it up next Monday so I am trying to sort out car insurance right now. Been on the net and the highest quotes I got were €200,00 less than what our current broker wants to charge us. Went back into our broker for the second time today, but am now waiting for a call to see if they can match any internet quotes. Highly unlikely it would seem, but I'd prefer to go with our broker because any queries, I can go in and talk to someone face to face instead of trying to talk to someone over the phone, but at €200,00 difference, will probably just have to risk the internet options.


We've also tried to change our internet/phone package and what a bloody laugh we've had over that. Adrian tried the English speaking helpline, after being on hold for an eternity finally got through to someone who told him he couldn't help, he had to be put through to someone else. He was put on hold again and in the end gave up waiting. Tried to change it on the net, but there's an error on the system and it wouldn't allow us to do this. Went into the local shop yesterday and was unfortunately served by Miss Incompetent But I'm Not Going To Admit It. She was so unhelpful, clearly had no idea what she was doing or what we were asking for and then they wouldn't just let us make a straight forward change without proof of our bank details although they've been taking money out of our account for the past 4 years. Fortunately I didn't have this proof (a cheque book is not sufficient, you have to have a special piece of paper for this. Naturally.) so we had to go back today. Got served by a young guy, who was helpful, charming and efficient. Turns out that Miss Complete Idiot was trying to set us up with the wrong package anyway. So we've got what we need (I think) and we now just have the set up instructions to translate!


Then there's the holiday to sort out:

Adrian's mum has moved to Crete to be near her daughters which is very nice for her, but for us she might as well be in Timbuctoo. It's almost impossible to get to from France. Several issues: We can't go away in the summer hols because that's when most of our work is. French folk don't often go abroad on their hols (well, not like the Brits) so flights are not frequent and not cheap. It is extremely frowned upon to take your children out of school over here and just doesn't happen. This leaves the February, April and October hols. Unfortunately, there are no flights then as this is very off season. Actually, tell a lie, did find a trip in April - drive to Nantes, fly to Paris, connection to Amsterdam, connection to Athens, connection to Crete. I think not. Eventually found some direct flights in May. Bargain prices beginning at €1750,00 per person!!! Then I found 'budget' airline going direct to Crete from Nantes week before October hols start and coming back, last flight of the season, middle of the October hols. Went into school to beg at the feet of the headmistress for forgiveness for all my sins and for the extra week off school. Luckily I'm such a wonderful person so she said 'yes'.

Am a little worried about the flights, being the last in the season, incase they cancel from not having enough folk on board, but we have no choice. So I'm trying to find holiday insurance. Again, not easy to find and not cheap on account of how little the french go abroad. Our (current) car insurance brokers suggested we try a travel agent, but there's only one in town, serving a population of approx 50,000, which shows the low demand! Tried the internet again, but it's all in French, so it's not easy and naturally very expensive...... All in all I think that this very off-peak trip to Crete is going to cost us in the better region of €3000,00! It'd better be good and better be worth it! Daughters of my mother-in-law - I know you are reading this - you have been warned, I'll write about you here if I have a bad time!! Seriously though, I am in fact looking forward to it, haven't been abroad or on a plane for a very long time and it will be good to get away and chill after the summer season when we are always a bit knackered to say the least. So just got the flights to book, the car hire to book, the accomodation to book, the luggage to buy, the hotel to book at the airport, the car parking to book at the airport, the insurance to arrange, find someone to look after the cat and then it'll be sorted.

No comments: