This my irregular diary of the goings-on in my life. Right now, my family and I are in the process of re-locating back to the UK. And that's about it really.

27 February 2010

I am currently looking for a new laundry basket, but I'm having trouble finding the one I want. It's one of those that DOESN'T magically refil as soon as it's been emptied. I've tried various shops and ebay and what have you, but all to no avail. I used to have one actually, but it disappeared around the time of the birth of my first child and hasn't been seen since. Come to think of it, I lost a few things around that time (must have gone all clumsy or something during my pregnancy) - a good nights uninterrupted sleep, my figure (what there was of it), my sanity. I could go on. And although I usually do, on this occasion I won't.

Got the new car anyway. It's very nice, but a bit flash! It's all clean and tidy and ten times the size of our old car. Factor in that we're now driving on the left hand side of the car, which is most peculiar, it's taking a while to get used to driving it. Went into the village today, managed to get past the cyclist without knocking him off, managed to negociate the roads which had definately narrowed by five feet overnight, managed to park, managed to get around the old lady walking down the middle of the road. Got to the junction on the main road to turn off left into our road (remember we're driving on the right here), stopped and waited for the car to go past, nothing else coming, so turned left and managed to stall the car (I was in 3rd instead of 1st, the gears are hard to find, and not just because they are now on my right side instead of my left). Typically at this point another car appears from the opposite direction, heading straight towards me and very helpfully starts beeping at me, presumably because a) his brakes have gone and he can't stop the car and b) his steering has also gone and he can't steer around the back of me (there was no-one coming the other way). Am panicking like made, the car is telling me to put the handbrake on, which is not a proper handbrake, but an automated one with override somewhere on the dash, there's no key, it's a push button start, withh foot on brake at the same time, which I'm madly trying to do. And I still couldn't get the bloody thing into 1st. Clearly from the fact that I am writing this, I somehow managed to get the thing going again and got home in one piece and as the whole episode got my heart beat going a bit faster than normal, I can class that as my exercise for the day too. Just have to negociate the school car park on Monday when the girls go back. I've told them we're leaving at 8.30am so that I've got room to manoevre before anyone else gets there for the 9am start.

No comments: