This my irregular diary of the goings-on in my life. Right now, my family and I are in the process of re-locating back to the UK. And that's about it really.

20 February 2010

Car is hanging by a thread and deteriorating by the day. Went to the supermarket yesterday and had to top the water up before we came home. Took the girls to a lake ten minutes drive away for a walk and a go on the play area in the afternoon. This morning Adrian went out to get a new gas tank from the garage in town and had to put more water in on the way home as it was overheating again (in the car, not the gas tank). The boot is nearly impossible for me to open as the pistony thingys that are supposed to hold it up are bust and do not hold it up or even take it's weight in anyway, so when I go shopping I have to pile the shopping bags up in the back and over the girls seats (fortunately I don't take them with me). The heating officially no longer works, not even after a bit of a drive. Either the head or the head gasket has blown (again). Don't ask me what that means, I'm just quoting someone else. Everything in the engine leaks. It's also the filthiest car in the neighbourhood, which is saying something, but no point in washing it until we try to sell it(!).

We were always planning on selling it a bargain price, partly because it's right hand drive and partly because it was getting on a bit (but very low mileage and four new tyres and recent MOT (which shows what a farce that can be)), but everyday now, with every new thing that goes wrong with it, we lower our expectations. We'd scrap it, but you have to pay for the privilege of doing so over here, which explains why so many people in France have rusty old cars at the bottom of their gardens.

No comments: