This my irregular diary of the goings-on in my life. Right now, my family and I are in the process of re-locating back to the UK. And that's about it really.

16 January 2011

Getting sorted

Right.  Time to get my backside in gear.  Need a job and need to do work on this place and need to cheer myself up a bit.  I think January and February are really quite miserable months, wet, cold and dreary and all the bad things loom over you, etc, etc. 

Tomorrow hubby and I are going to go around the gites and the garden and make a list of all the must-do jobs and then split that into the can-do and can't-do jobs (ie ones that require money spent and ones that don't).  I think mostly this year it will be painting (we've got a fair bit of paint) and tree-felling (the Willow HAS to go.  I like them, but this one is far too close to the house and is also blocking out the light from my veggie plot).

Next week I have an interview at the job centre.  So I have to get my cv in order.  In french.  Although they will apparently help me with that, but got to have something as a starting point.  I can't for the life of me remember anything much of my work history, so that will take a bit of preparing.  After that, I've found a couple of temping agencies in town, so I'll see if I can register with them, (once I've got a proper french cv).  I've been spreading the word a bit that I'm looking for work, but most people look at me as though I've said something in a completely different language - as in 'what are you talking about?'  And than I get words along the line of 'There's no way that's going to happen, can't get a job myself' etc etc.  Can but try.

Haven't got anything even remotely smart to wear though - and I'm not even talking about going down the 'suit' road, I'm just talking something that fits without bulging, not stained, not stretched out of shape, not torn and no threads hanging down.  So I'll also be off to the sales to try and find myself at least one top and one pair of trousers that fit and look reasonably smart.  But not too smart.  If I get any interviews at all, it could be factory work or similar, so not point going overboard.  And then there's footwear.  I used to have a smart pair of boots, but now they are not smart anymore.  I've got 25€ left in this weeks budget and I also have to buy stamps tomorrow and pay for me and the girls to go to the dentist on Wednesday, so it'll be very tight (like my current clothes).  Wish me luck.

No comments: