This my irregular diary of the goings-on in my life. Right now, my family and I are in the process of re-locating back to the UK. And that's about it really.

18 November 2009

I had a bright idea this week; like all my ideas there has turned out to be a downside to it, not properly thought out as usual.

We have been trying to think of something to get Isabella for christmas, but not really getting anywhere (although she wants everything she sees, of course). Then I had an inspired thought that she might like a cd player for her room. Had an optimistic look around the shops, prices starting at €60,00 for 'girl's' (ie pink) cd players (in the kiddies sections). After picking myself up off the floor, tried to regain my dignity and staggered off to the proper electrical departments. Ugly old things for sale and not much cheaper. I thought perhaps she could have it as a joint present from a few people, not much to open on the day, but what else to do?

Then I had my brain wave. We have little stereos in all of the gites. To be quite honest they are French and most of them a bit crap. This year we are putting dvd players in all the gites so we are going to be removing the stereos as people can get radio through the tv and play their cds on the dvd players. So I thought, why not let her have one of the stereos that we already have and will only be sitting around gathering dust? Wouldn't matter so much if she broke it and no money wasted if she never used it. First one I got out of the gite didn't actually work (told you they're crap) and has gone in the bin. Good start. Went into another gite, I think the stereo in there must be quite new, it's small and has a little blue lcd display and really easy to use buttons and she loves it.

And there in lies the flaw in my plan. She loves it so much she keeps playing cds on it. She gets up, she puts it on. She comes home from school for lunch, she puts it on. She comes home in the evening, she puts it on. Not just the constant playing, but she has discovered Boyzone (Adrian's, not mine I hasten to add. Keith Moon will be turning in his grave). She's also learnt how to use the 'repeat' button. Repeatedly. I'm also listening to Mary Poppins, Mama Mia (Georgia's favourite) and 'Junior Choice - fun songs for kids' on a frequent basis these days.

Actually, it's quite nice really, I'm pleased that she's using it and enjoying it (plus it's saved a fair bit of money) although I am going to have to try to give her a proper musical education and get some decent stuff into her collection. And I shouldn't complain really, in a few years time, it'll be French pop and there's nothing worse than that! Did you know they use it to torture British citizens in France? It's true, they play it on the radio all day and night. British folk are warned at immigration not to tune in or they'll go mad.

No comments: