This my irregular diary of the goings-on in my life. Right now, my family and I are in the process of re-locating back to the UK. And that's about it really.

15 June 2010

Too much going on

So much going on of late I don't know where to start, so this could be more waffly and disjointed than usual.  But the football is on and talk about being on every channel.  I put on the english tv - Italy v Paraguay.  I put on the french tv - Italy v Paraguay.   

Firstly though, going back to last year's end-of-season theme of 'crap food guests leave', some recent french guests left a fair bit of food in the fridge, mostly yogs, a bit of butter, some oil.  All fine and am happy to consume it.  However, they also left loads of little 'fromage blancs' which I refuse to eat these days having been force-fed them three times a day when I was in Alcatraz, sorry hospital, after Georgia was born.  Isabella eats them though, so long as she can have half a jar of sugar sprinkled on each one, so they didn't go to waste.  They also left an interesting item called 'Bouillie de l'avoine' which I have never seen or heard of before.  It was made from oat flour, water, salt and may have had milk in it too, but I can't remember.  As you will see from the pics below it looked like insipid brown blancmange and had the same texture too.  In a word 'unpleasant'.   However, I'm all for trying new things, especially local produce and the packet did say that it was a 'traditional Breton product'.  So I insisted that we all try it.  I duly followed the instructions and sliced it and fried it for five mins on each side in some butter.  Well I can report that it did indeed taste as disgusting as it looked.  Vile. Gros.  Horrid.  You get the picture.  In fact have three pics - before, during and after:


Tempted?  I bet you're not!

So, what next.  Georgia has Chicken Pox.  Poor thing, she's actually quite well during the day.  A bit off her food and a bit pale, but otherwise fine.  She's covered in spots now, they're all over, not a body part untouched I think, and they do bother her at night.  At 3am this morning I had a brainwave (quite miraculous really considering the time, but we were both desperate) and remembered I had some kiddies anti-histamine syrup in the cupboard.  Unfortunately, she didn't like it and spat most of it out.  Adrian and I did a good double act involving distraction techniques and pouring it down the back of her throat before she realised tonight, so hopefully she'll have a better night tonight.  I tried bathing her in bicarb (with water as well of course) but the water seemed to iritate her more than the bicarb soothed her.  I've also tried applying calamine lotion, but she doesn't like that because its cold.  The worst thing for her though is that she was due to go to a friend's birthday party on Saturday.  Her first one and she's been talking about it for a few weeks now, she was so looking forward to it, but couldn't go - she was very upset.  I thought about covering her up and sending her for a bit anyway (naughty I know, but she'll have picked it up from school where all the other kids will have been anyway),  but she seemed to be gaining spots by the minute and by lunchtime I had to either admit defeat or send her in tights, a long-sleeved poloneck jumper and a woolly hat with ear flaps.  I know when to give up.

Cheeky buggers no.3:  If you've been reading of late, you will know about the cheeky guests we've had of late.  Had some more last week, not the best start to the season.  The day after they arrived, they invited their friends around.  Now, we don't mind people having friends around, but it is in our terms and conditions and also in the info file in the properties that we would like to know about it in advance.  Several reasons - firstly, this is our home and we'd like to know who's here, I don't think many people would allow complete strangers to be wandering about on their property, secondly, insurance reasons - we cannot allow them to use the equipment, pool etc, thirdly, to be fair to our other guests who have come here for a quiet holiday and lastly just because it is polite!  Well, needless to say, these people did not feel the need to mention that they would like their friends to visit.  The first time we didn't realise until they were leaving (we'd been out) so we just let it go.  But then they came back at 10pm, with two small children, parked under the hangar and made themselves at home.  Well, this time we were more than a little unhappy, especaially at that time of night (we've had guests sneak people into to stay overnight before), so I went down to have a polite word.  Well, they were all half-cut so I didn't get very far, but they assured me they wouldn't be staying the night and would be leaving soon.  The next morning, one of them came over to apologise and said that they 'weren't expecting them, they just turned up'.  Although how people just turn up somewhere where their friends are without first having directions and an idea of when they will be there is beyond me.

Anyway, they were Jehovah's and they very kindly left us some of their literature behind, which I read - strong stuff I have to say and this month's edition was all about not being deceitful and not steeling.  And there in lies my problem.  Firstly, the deceitfulness (forgetting to mention their friends).  And then steeling.  They'd asked if they could have some wood for a bbq but told them that our wood supply was green and not suitable for burning so no, they couldn't have any, but I could let them have some charcoal and firelighters and they said 'no thanks' to the charcoal)....).  Unfortunately, there was a small pile of our wood  left by the bbq after they'd gone....  Don't get me wrong, I have no problem with folk having religious beliefs, providing a) they don't try to recruit me, b) they don't wage war in the name of their God and c) they are not hippocritcal about it.  I mean, leaving three leaflets pointedly on the table for us, all about what sin is and that steeling (of any sort - it was very specific) and deceifulness are the sins of the week having commited both of those sins themselves!!!!!

I think that's enough for tonight, I'm trying to watch Gavin and Stacey anyway.  Cracking.

No comments: