This my irregular diary of the goings-on in my life. Right now, my family and I are in the process of re-locating back to the UK. And that's about it really.

14 March 2010

Spring! Well, almost anyway.

These pictures are supposed to be further down, but I can't figure out how to do it, I just keep deleting them, so I've given up!












Well, spring seems to be on it's way, the daffs are starting to come out and all the bulbs and the seeds and what have you are out in the shops. I've put the potatoes out to chit (I think that's the term) and bought a few seeds that I don't have (mostly I'm going to use what ever's left over from last year, I think you're supposed to by new each year, but what a waste of money when I've already got some.) I was looking back through this blog the other day when I noticed that I started planting out the carrots on 14 March last year (a year ago today), but I think I'll wait a bit this year, it's been very cold and damp.

I did eventually manage to find some sweet pea seeds the other day and Georgia and I planted a few up in some toilet rolls to start them off. She was quite disappointed the next morning when she found they hadn't grown yet. I'd like a bit more colour in the garden this year. When we were in the UK we had a lovely flowery front garden, really nice to come home to at the end of the day and I do miss that, so hopefully the sweet peas will add a bit of colour and attract a few butterflies and bees maybe.

We also had a couple of old ceramic belfast sinks lying around the place (see photos). Unfortunately they are very shallow and not easy to plant. They used to have alpines in but they don't do it for me; I tried salads, but they didn't work, so we splashed out (€5,00) on some violas, hopefully they will be happy there and again, provide a bit of colour.

Although we've added an extra raised bed for this year, I don't think we're going to fill it. The winter has been very wet and it seems to drive the moles away, so no mole hills to provide soil for my veggies. They will be back at some time, (they never seem to go far, perhaps it's the top facilities that we offer here) so the beds will get filled eventually, but I've had to re-think the plans for this year a bit at not grow as much as I would have liked; but whatever, it will be more than last year.

No comments: