This my irregular diary of the goings-on in my life. Right now, my family and I are in the process of re-locating back to the UK. And that's about it really.

14 October 2011

Things we will miss

This evening's event on the way home from school:  A cow eating placenta.

I should explain:  On the way home at lunch, Georgia got excited because she saw a calf, so I stopped beside it and it's mother as they were right at the edge of the field, by the road.  Then the calf falteringly stood up.  That was when I saw part of the umbilical cord hanging from it's stomach.  Then I noticed the rest of it hanging out of the cow's arse.  So I explained to the girls that the calf had just been born and what-have-you.  They wanted to see it suckling (is that the right word?), but I thought they were getting a bit nervous with the car nearby (the cow and calf, not the girls), so we drove home.  Five hours later (yes, it's really that long before they come home again), we drove past the cow and calf again, calf was having a kip.  Cow was eating placenta.

A bit gross really, it wasn't doing very well, just seemed to keep chewing away at it and not actually eating it.  A bit like old biddies trying to eat meat, it just goes round and round in their mouths, they can't swallow it and they really should have been put on the pureed food diet a long time ago. 

But the point is, these are the opportunities that the girls won't get in the UK, well, not where we'll be living anyway.  They've been lucky enough to see all sorts of things out here in the countryside, so hopefully it's given them a good start anyway.

And I saw a deer on the way home yesterday, it stepped out into the road in front of the car.  I breaked and missed it, you'll be pleased to hear.  Well, we don't have time to butcher it and then there's the problem of getting it all back to the UK next week, and besides, I've sold the freezer.

No comments: