This my irregular diary of the goings-on in my life. Right now, my family and I are in the process of re-locating back to the UK. And that's about it really.

19 May 2010

A little while ago Adrian was working in the garden and called me out.  There were a couple of guys at the end of our driveway, one with a metal dectector and the other with a pickaxe smashing a hole in in the path directly in front of the middle of our drive.  I approach them, say 'hello' and ask them what they are doing.  'Looking for a water leak' they reply.  'With a metal detector?' 'Yes'.  They suspect a leak and ask me where our water meter is.  I ask them what if the leak is on our property.  'Then that's up to you, it's on your bill, nothing to do with us'  'Even though you work for the water board?' 'That;'s right'.  They were back again yesterday, but I left them to it this time.  We suspect it is because we recently had to empty most of the swimming pool and then refil it which meant the hose was on for a good 24 hours or so.  Last time we did it we had a letter from the waterboard saying that they suspected that we had a leak and we should investigate.  Although why they think leaks can last for 24hours and then stop for no apparent reason is beyond me.  I didn't mention this to the visiting representatives because there's probably some rules and regulations about using hosepipes for so long and topping up pools and the like.  It's times like this that the french shoulder shrug comes in very handy - just shrug, walk away and leave them to it.

No comments: