This my irregular diary of the goings-on in my life. Right now, my family and I are in the process of re-locating back to the UK. And that's about it really.

21 March 2009

Car broke down this week. I was doing the school run and it kept losing power, just about managed to get back home. Adrian checked it out and thinks its either the gasket or head gasket, one of which went before (too technical for me, can't remember which) and it was so expensive the garage made me sign a form to say that we understood that the cost of the repair was far more than the car's value. Mind you, so is the cost of filling up the tank with fuel (on account of it being a right hand drive car - who's going to want it over here, even though the mileage is really low for the age). Anyway, we've invested a fair bit into of late, brakes and tyres I think, if memory serves, (and fuel of course. I put a packet of polo's in the glove box the other day and the value immediately doubled), so we now have to consider if it's worth repairing. Unfortunately, we don't have the money to repair it, let alone buy a new car. Adrian has found something on the net which might work and he will try it himself, so we are just waiting for it to be delivered and go from there. Luckily, we are able to borrow my mum's car for the time being and we don't get out much anyway.

Also, need to order more gas for the tank we have as it is almost empty. We are not on mains gas here and have a huge tank in the garden behind the hangar. It costs about £1000.00 each time to fill it up and we have so far filled it twice a year. So we have to find that money too. I think my dad will be paying for it and it will be added to the ever increasing amount we owe him.

Adrian's mid-life crisis is getting worse, first poetry and then today he suggested that I might consider highlighting my hair. (I have never dyed my hair in my life and am not about to start now. Even if it is going grey as he kindly points out to me - I can't see any, they are all at the back apparently. He is moving into dangerous territory.)

Here's a little Top Tip to lighten the mood:

My hands have been getting horrendously dry and horrid and hand cream no longer has any effect. Then today I remembered something I learnt in Australia:

'Cup' one hand
Pour in a little olive oil, about a teaspoonful
Add either some sugar or salt, about a teaspoonful
Optional: Add one or two drops (no more) of either lavender or sweet orange essential oil
Stand over sink and rub hands together concentrating on rough bits especially for about a minute
Rinse off under warm water
Pat hands dry
Lovely soft hands

Talking of Australia, I got all excited last night, heard someone waffling on about videos on Google maps, so I checked it out, couldn't find anywhere we used to live in UK so I went further afield. France didn't work either so I took a trip down under. And there was my place in Australia!! I showed Adrian and think he was totally underwhelmed, but I was dead excited and found my friends house too! Maybe one day they'll have this place... (Not my friends - I mean google maps might have us on the video bit).

No comments: