This my irregular diary of the goings-on in my life. Right now, my family and I are in the process of re-locating back to the UK. And that's about it really.

17 February 2009

Spent the better part of the afternoon in casualty today. I was finally finishing painting the front gate on Saturday and whilst doing so I knelt on a thorny branch. It was a bit painful, but I didn't think too much of it. It wasn't until the next day that I noticed that I had a thorn embedded in my knee, pointing downwards and inwards. Naturally I prodded and poked it in an effort to get it out, but to no avail. Adrian also had a go, unsuccesfully. Had another go on Monday morning, but it was fast disappearing into the depths of my knee. Left it alone thinking it would make its own way out, but today I finally admitted defeat. Didn't go to the doctors as wouldn't get an appointment now until friday (he doesn't work Wednesdays - see previous post) and I knew that by that time my knee would be all gangreenous and about to drop off and anyway I thought he probably wouldn't have the tools for the job like a drill or something, it was in very deep.

So I went off to casualty. Having been there before I went armed with bottle of water, book, Nintendo, flask of coffee, substantial snacks, sleeping bag, hot water bottle etc etc. This is because last time I went I was pregnant and had been in a near miss situation in the car, Adrian had to do an emergancy stop and the seat belt pulled on my stomach, so naturally I was stressed out about the state of the baby and what have you. This involved a two hour wait and there's no drink/snack machine or anything there. I knew therefore, that as a non-pregnant person with no real or imageined life threatening issues that I would be waiting for sometime.

As it was, it was only an hour and three-quarters when I was then shown into the only available examining room, which was a kiddies examining room (several toys, lots of bright, fun pictures and small bed). Thankfully they've had a re-fit since my last visit and examining rooms are proper rooms now with four walls and a door. Last time they were three walls and a supposedly frosted glass front facing the corridor where the patients waiting for transfers were waiting. Asked to strip off (only normal, being in France) I noticed that I could see out through the frosted glass, so no doubt they could see in. 'Leg's up Mrs Bryant, please, the Doctor will examine you now'. Oh, the memories of having a baby in France.

Anyway, first question was 'don't you have a GP you can see?', which just made me feel totally guilty for wasting doctors time, spending public money and what have you; even though in reality, I was the one wasting time and I paid for it ultimately. Anyway, apparantely it's fine, my lower leg is not going to drop off and my body will absorb it naturally (the thorn, not my leg) and of course, being in the kiddies room I got a lollipop to suck on afterwards for being a good girl.

By the time I got home, the fire had gone out but at least the girls were pleased to see me as they had had a good long break from me for a change. Talking of which, I was thinking whilst I was in the waiting room, how I often think it would be lovely to have an hour or so of no responsibilities, no being hassled by the kids or anyone else, no phones etc, just to read a book or just have some peace and quiet. And there I was, getting all this and not really enjoying it. It was boring and uncomfortable and I couldn't relax in case they called me and I missed it because I wasn't paying attention didn't have my French radar on (just like the submarines... My french is quite good, but I can still switch off and not pay attention to what is being said if it suits me - like if the french radio is on).





This is the castle I made for the girls. Well Dad had already made the box the their cooker arrived in into a shop/cafe, but I decided it was time for a change, so we bought an end roll of wallpaper for about £2.00 and used it to cover the box, made some new windows, a lacy roof, the girls painted some turrety things (I've got all the technical language, me) and made some flags and there you have it princess castle!

















Sorry, this is a bit sad, but I'm proud, I've done two and a half of these things so far, only one and a half to go...





Before...












And after!










No comments: